START HERE for Historical Event Map Search
This link will take you to actual map and search form.
Also Visit: DiscoverKingsport.com Homepage
1. 1773, Daniel Boone's attempt to settle Kentucky ended before reaching Cumberland Gap after Indians tortured and murdered his son, James,and Capt. Wm. Russell's son, Henry.
2. 1815, Estitiville (Gate City), early settlement on Wilderness Boad, became Scott County's Court.
3. 1821, Scott County Court House (SS) was built in EstilIville.
4. Feb. 26, 1791, Indian Chief Benge attacked the Ferris home and tavern massacring the entire family. Two years later Benge murdered the Harper Radcliff family nearby.
5. Oct. 18, 1770, The Lochabar Treaty set the how. territorial line between South Carolina and the Cherokees, ceding the first Tennessee land. This line ran 6 miles east of Long Island, opening Cherokee land for white setttement.
6. 1774, the Livingstons were early owners of Big Moccas1n Gap land (400 acre Land Grant). About 20 years later, the Livingston home was attacked by Indians who killed or made prisoners of the women and children.
7. May 1, 1769, Daniel Boone, John Finley, John Stuart and others traveled through to hunt game and explore Kentucky. Stuart was murdered and Finley returned, but Boone roamed Kentucky until 1771.
8. Feb. 14, 1815, Scott County's 1st court was held in Benjamin Hollins*house (monument at site).
9. 1840's, Nottingham's Tannery operated for many years.
10. 1779, Richard Henderson surveyed the Virginia and North Carolina (now Tennessee) line for North Carolina, starting from Jefferson and Fry's 1749 line.
11. 1769, Joseph Martin explored Powell Valley, raised cornzand built a Fort,earning 21,000 acres for his services.
12. 1775, Boone's Ford was on Wilderness Road.
13. By 1777, John Anderson's Blockhouse (monument at ruins) was a refuge from Indian attacks and for travelers on Wilderness Road.
14. By 1769, William Skeleton lived on land owned by John Anderson of the Blockhouse.
15. 1823, Andrew McHenry built his covered bridge.
16. Dec. 31, 1862, Gen. Samuel P. Carter's Union cavalry raiders lingered several hours in Kingsport after gatioping down Wilderness Road through Moccasin Gap into Tennessee, burning bridges, and destroying railroads.
17. 1779, Capt. James Robertson's group went overland to settle Kentucky and middle Tennessee where he met Donelson's Flotilla group.
18. April, 1775, Judge Richard Henderson's group (including Abraham Lincoln's parents) gathered on Long Island to begin their migration over Wilderness Road to settle his Transylvania land,
19. By 1794, Mathias Cleek was settled on land (he purchased in 1796) owned by the John Anderson of the Blockhouse,
20. 1782, William Treadway, Revolutionary War soldier, blacksmith, and miller, built his mill.
21. By 1809, (McHenry Springs) Holston Springs large 3-story hotel with 4 mineral springs enclosed in stone spring houses (ruins SS), was built by Andrew McHenry. Later (1837-56-69) John M. Preston and John S. Gaines owned and greatly improved this spa.
22. 1769, Gilbert Christian's 2nd exploration group from Virginia arrived at the forks of the Tennessee and Clinch Rivers and were accosted by 60 Indians, deprived of their guns, and forced to return home.
23. Upper Ford (Cloud's Ford), an old buffalo ford was used by many explorers and hunters (a ferry fiere by 1818).
24. 1790, Jacob Wills built his large 2-story stone house (SS).
25. 1767, Capt. James Smith, in tattered clothes, with Horton's young slave, Jamle, in a bearskin, frightened townspeople when returning from their long and perilous journey.
26. To Carter's Store, built by John Carter and Wm. Parker in 1770 and pillaged by Shawnees in 1774 (1775, proprietors gained Carter Valley as reparation).
27. 1776, Jonathan Mulkey, pioneer Baptist preacher, enroute to Eaton's Fort, escaped Indians by leaping into North Fork Hofston River. This pastor of several Tennessee churches, was Holston Conference Moderator for 7 years.
28. 1786, North Fork Holston Baptist Church was one of seven churches represented at the Holston Association's 1st meeting (exact location unknown).
29. 1828, Rev. Samuel Patton, Methodist circuit rider, built his Springplace," 2-story log house (SS).
30. By 1783, Peter Morrison had settled on his 1520 acres.
31. 1851, Morrison Chapel log church was built on land given by Peter Morrison's son to the Methodist Church.
32. 1774, James Clendenin, Revolutionary War soldier, settled near King's Mill Fort.
33. 1782, John Cochrane, Revolutionary War soldier, settled on his 170 acre Land Grant.
34. 1774, William Poage, Revolutionary War soldier stationed at area forts, settled nearby.
35. March, 1775, Wilderness Road, cut by Daniel Boone, provided a route to Kentucky to settle Richard Henderson's 20,000,000 acre Transylvania Purchase.
36. 1824, P. S. Hale, Deputy Sheriff and Kingsport merchant, lived on his Roach Spring farm.
37. 1853, Lemuel M. Nelms moved from Rye Cove to settle on his farm by the "Old Furnace Tract."
38, Before 1793, William Simpson, Revolutionary War soldier, had settled on his 700 acres.
39. Before 1793, James Hogard was living on his 150-acre Land Grant.
40. 1776, the Old Thompson Place, referred to in many deeds, was occupied by different Thompsons over the years.
41. 1779, Dr. Thomas Walker surveyed the line between Virginia and North Carolina (now Tennessee) for Virginia. His line, about 3 miles south of Henderson's line, became the accepted line.
42. 1750, Dr. Thomas Walker saw a large Indian fort. Cherokees built stockaded forts of vertical logs reinforced with woven vines and mud plaster.
43. 1810, James Taylor Gaines, Joseph McMinn's only daughter s husband, settled on McMinn s Jand. Capt. James Gaines lived here with his son until 1821 (old house SS).
44. 1782, John King, Sr. settled on his 400 acre Land Grant.
45. 1793, Col. Gilbert Christian's regiment, ordered out again against the Indians, rendezvoused at ishes Station. Gen. John Sevier led the regiments on the Hightower Campaign. Col. Christian became ill and returned to Knoxville where he died and was buried with military honors.
46. 1792, COL Gilbert Christian's Sullivan County Regiment marched to Southwest Point where they butit 2 blockhouses.
47. April, 1797, Louis Philippe, future King of France, with his two brothers traveled down Stage Road following the route marked by Gen. George Washington to explore the "mysterious interior of America."
48. 1789, Col. Joseph Martin's Lookout Mountain Campaign penetrating Cherokee country, attacked the Indians and destroyed their towns.
49. 1810, Joseph McMinn, future Tennessee governor (1815-1821), Indian Agent Speaker of the State Senate, purchased a house and land.
50. 1837, David Walker, with ox-team drawn wagon, made periodic journeys from middle Tennessee to Virginia to stock his store, always stopping at Netherland Inn.
51. 1792, George Roulstone, offered a handsome reward for his high spirited brown mare,lost near Ross Ironworks.
52. October, 1784, Col. James Knox, long hunter and soldier, led settlers to Kentucky using "the most used route by 1784'. through today's Kingsport to Bean's Station, then north across Clinch Mountain ("the devil's stairway") to Cumberland Gap.
53. By 1819, Peter Franklin was living on 100 acres purchased from David Ross heirs.
54. "Allandale" (SS), reconstructed southern plantation mansion built by Harvey Brooks (1952) incorporated the old "Brown Log House" (SS) (built in the early 1800's) as the kitchen wing. Another old log house (SS) is on the front lawn.
55. 1818, Dr. Benjamin Lewis, an heir of David Ross lands, first lived on Lewis Lane in Hawkins County.and,later lived in Rossville.
56. 1846, Sixth District School and Meeting House land was given by F. A. Ross to be used by all sects.
57. 1793, David Ross purchased 5 acres of King's iron bank.
58. Netherland's Mulberry Orchard cultivated: silk worms. (After Richard's death was ciperated by his widow and son, George]
59. F. A. Ross' Mulberry Orchard cultivated silk worms. Ross often wore an all silk suit made in his silk factory.
60. 1793, Andre Michaux, French botanist, world traveler, and diplomatic agent stopped at Ross' Tavern on one of his journeys through Tennessee.
61. 1789, David Ross' Log Agency and Tavern was occupied and operated by Ross' agents (Capt. John Hunt by 1792; Thomas Hopkins by 1811; Perley Fairbanks by 1816, among others).
62. 1750, Dr. Thomas Walker saw five Indian houses in the fork between Holston River and North Fork Holston River built of logs and covered with barky and four Indian houses on the west side of North Fork Holston River near the Old Ford.
63. 1843, F. A. Ross donated 7 acres to Methodist Episcopal Church to develop Ross Campground. (SS).
64. In late 1762, Gilbert Christian's expedition which left Virginia to explore Kentucky, ended in disaster with 1 killed and all supplies lost to attacking indians.
65. F. A. Ross and his architect, Thomas Hope, began construction of his white- washed brick mansion in 1818.
66. 1790, David Ross' Iron Forge was operated by his agents. David, who always resided in Virginia, owned over 7,000 acres in Sullivan County and 1000s of acres in Hawkins County.
67. The "Big Elm," now dead, was acclaimed by 1790 French explorers (trunk measured 22' in circumference with branch spread of 150').
68. Old Ford of North Fork Holston River was on the ancient Indian Warrior and Trader Path.
69. About 1828, F. A. Ross built a large slik mill which later operated as a cotton mill. In late 1800's, it was the Jordan Woolen Mill.
70. 1818, F. A. Ross settled on land inherited from his father (David Ross) and built the first bridge (ruins SS) over North Fork Holston River.
71. Present Rotherwood Mansion (SS) was remodeled in mid-1800's from F. A. Ross' two parallel 2-story brick buildings.
72. 1750, Dr. Thomas Walker marked his name and date on several beech trees at his camp.
73. 1829, Orville Bradley settled on 1450 acres, known as "Solitude Tract ", purchased from Ross' heirs,
74. The Cherokees considered Holston River, formerly Indian River, Cherokee River and Hogohegee River, part of the Tennessee River. 1889, the Tennessee Legislature named Kingsport the upper limit of the Tennessee, but in 1890,tederal statute placed the upper limit at the French Broad and Holston's junction.
75. 1780, Richard Curtis' company from West Virginia and North Carolina made a voyage to Natchez from Long Island. Enroute, indians captured one boat and massacred all aboard.
76. March 9, 1847, Kingsport held a gala celebration when Steamboat Cassandra arrived from Knoxville.
77. Feb. 20, 1780, the ponelson Flotilla was agairi on its way affer much delay and many. difficulties.
78. 1765, scores of families, with their slaves, crossed the mountains from Virginia and North Carolina and migrated to the Natchez region via the Hotston and Tennessee Rivers.
79. 1761, Lt. Henry Timberlake and Sgt. Thomas Sumpter had the perilous issk of canoeing to the Cherokee towns to cement the Fort Robinson peace treaty with the Cherokee Emperor.
80. 1781, two friendly Indians in a canoe loaded with skins for Col. Martin at Long Island, were murdered by settlers who went unpunished due to recent Indian atrocities.
81. 1789, David Ross owned Bays Mountain land.
82. By 1787, John Pryor was living on land James Gaines had sold to James Anderson in 1780.
83. 1885, Roller Brick & Tile Factory manufactured brick and glazed tile.
84. 1788, Joseph Kincade settled here. (Listed in ledgers as Joseph Kincade "over river" to avoid confusion with Joseph Kincade "Carter's Valley".)
85. 1850, William Roller built his large white frame house (SS).
86. 1788, Jason Cloud settled on his 200 acre Land Grant.
87. 1790, Jeremiah Cloud, Revolutionarysoldier and boatman, built his 2-story log house.
88. 1815, Benjamin and Nancy Netherland Cloud built their log house.
89. Recently discovered Indian Village ruins are being carefully "dug" by Kingsport Chapter, Tennessee Archaeological Society.
90. Between 1777 and by 1780,Christian's Fort, built by Col. Gilbert Christian, was manned to defend the frontier.
91. 1748, Dr. Thomas Walker made his first exploration for the Virginia Loyal Land Company, to North Fork Holston River's mouth.
92. By 1782, John Coulter, Revolutionary War officer, procured his 200-acre Land Grant. This author of Pendleton District Petition laid out the town of Abingdon in 1777.
93. Dec. 1864, the Battle of Kingsport was a Union victory of Gen. George Stoneman's troops over Col. R. C. Morgan's crippled forces.
94. 1818, F. A. Ross laid out the town ofRossville in lots extending from Christianville's western line nearly to Ross' Bridge and was included in Kingsport's 1822 1st accrporation.
95. By 1782, John Menefee lived on 2,480 acres (co-owner, Christian Rhodes) which David Ross purchased in 1790.
96. By 1782, Christian Rhodes lived on 2,480-acre Land Grant (co-owner John Menefee).
97. 1820, the Presbyterian Boat YardCongregation built a log church near the old Presbyterian graveyard and hired their 1st minister, James Gallagher.
98. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines purchased the Gaines house for his family. In 1792,this hero of Fort Erie (War of 1812) came to Sullivan County with his father, Capt, James Gaines,with whom he lived until entering the U. S. Army.
99. 1824, Jacob Gashem, flatboat builder, oarsman, and stearsman purchased this Island and later formed his own boating company.
100. Erected between 1802 and 1818, The Netherland Inn (SS), famous hostelry, stage stoppand place of entertainment, had a large stable. warehouse, wharf, well-house, smokel ouse and slave cabins. Built on Gilbert Christian's Grant land on a lot purchased by Wm. King (Saltvule) in 1802, it was King's Old Boat Yard Boarding House which was rented by George Hale (1814-1817), then purchased and greatly improved by Richard Netherland in 1818.
101. 1802, Wm. King, of Saltville, Virginia, purchased Lots No. 1 & 2 in the newly laid out town of Christianville. Here, his agents established King's Boat Yard which included warehouses, wharts, and counting, dwelling and boarding houses.
102. Dec. 31, 1862, Col. James P. T. Carter on Gen. Samuel P. Carter's Raid, stayed behind the troops at the Netherland inn where he was fired upon,His orderly was wounded.
103. 1776, Pendleton District Petition (granted in Feb., 1776), signed by John Coulter, was sent to the Virginia Convention asking that settlers in the Pendleton District take their places asVirginians in America's struggle for independence.
104. About 1830, Noah B. Gallowav's tog house (SS) was built by Galloway Spring.
105. 1782, Col. Gilbert Christian registered his earliest Land Grants (850 acres) on which the main part of old Kingsport was built.
106. 1845, Old Kingsport Presbyterian Church (SS) (moved to present location in 1900's) was built by the Rev. F. A. Ross who had served without pay as the minister since 1825.
107. 1802 dates the founding of Kingsport when Christianville (included in Kingsport s 1822 1st Incorporation) was laid out in lots by Robert Christian on his father's old Grant land.
108. About 1795, Wm. C. C. Claiborne, future Louisiana Governor, was a resident lawyer in Boat Yard and First District Congressman.
109. Before 1826, Greenberry McKenzie's "mansion house" faced the North Fork 1-loIston River. The Shipley 2-story log house (SS) was also built on McKenzie land.
110. 1840, Samuel Pierce built his large 2-story house which became the First National Bank Building in 1909.
111. 1847, David Sevier purchased "Mount Ida," ?-story log house (SS) (built about 1790 by Rhodes, Menefee or Ross Agents),from D. Ross heirs.
112. 1884, David Sevier built his large 2-story brick house (SS).
113. Dec., 1864, the 15th Pennsylvania Union Regiment quartered at Kingsport was .driven toward Knoxville by Ma). Frank Phipp's Confederates.
114. 1790, David Ross' Iron Furnace, "the Great Furnace." was built and operated by Ross' agents.
115. By 1796, Jacob and Amanda Ross Myers (operated Ross Furnace and other enterprises) were living on "Woodlawn Plantation."
116. Before 1841, Jacob Myers' grist m.ill (SS) was built on Furnace Branch.
117. 1790's Ross' agents or Henry Myers built a small log house (SS) which L. H. Copenhaver later used as a school. This school is the back section of Thomas L. Neim's 1891 large frame house (SS).
118. 1885, Peltier (Lovedale in 1891) Post Office's 1st postmaster was John L. Pile.
119. 1819, Noah Bolton moved his family here from Virginia. In 1864 Union soldiers searched their house,confiscating all the silver but one spoon.
120. Ross Agents (after 1799) or Capt. Joseph Everett (1809) built this 2-story log house (SS),
121. 1856, Joseph Groseclose began building his large 2-story brick house (SS).
122. Sept. 18, 1863, after escaping from Cumberland Gap, Gen. John Frazier's scattered troops, camping at Kingsport, were driven off by Gen. John Foster's 2,000-man Union cavalry. Foster then moved on to burn the Blountville Court House.
123. 1782, the 16 year old Richard Netherland, Virginia Governor's courier, carried official papers to Kentucky militias.
124. By 1814, Capt, Joseph Everett operated his saw Mill and gfist mill on land Andrew Gibson purchased in 1851.
125. 1880, Horace Post Office's 1st postmaster was Andrew Gibson.
126. By 1841, Cedar Grove School was on Capt. Joseph Everett's land.
127. 1797, Owen Southard settled on 100 acres, purchased from David Ross, on Roach Branch.
128. 1761, Gilbert Christian, John Sawyer, James McNair, Robert Christian, NathanPage, Wm. and John Anderson, after service at Fort Robinson, built cabins a mile above Reedy Creek's mouth. They returned to Virginia in 1762,abandoning their corn fields and many improvements.
129. 1795, Sullivan County Court ordered a bridge be built across Reedy Creek (1880, was Covered Bridge).
130. 1791, George Roulstone ("Knoxville Gazette ' editor) hauled Tennessee's 1st printing press from North Carolina to Boat Yard and floated it down river to Rogersville.
131. 1830, Dr. James H. Vance built a large house for his wife, Jane, Valentine Sevier 8 daughter.
132, Autumn, 1775, the Gilbert Christian family moved from their 1st settlement, to the mouth of Aeedy Creek opposite Long Island,They were the first permanent settlers of Kingsport. Col. Gilbert Christian, officer in Colonial and Revolutionary Wars, was a member of the 1st Sultivan County I Court, surveyor and planter.
133. Tilthammer Shoals was a ford to Long Island.
134. 1815, Richard Netherland built this mill, (one of several Netherland mills on Long Island), that his son sold to Lynn, Wall & Co. in 1836. This mill operated as a hemp factory and a cotton mill (race ruins SS).
135. 1862, Capt. Joshua Hobbs' Confederate cavalry unit fed their horses on Long island, across from his great- nephew's (Dr. Cox) future home.
136. Before 1832, Richard Netherland's store was on Long Island.
137. Dec. 22, 1779, within an hour after starting, the Donelson Fiotilla was halted at mouth of Reedy Creek "by the fall of water and most excessive hard frost."
138. 1822, Richard & Catherine Rogan Netherland, Jr. Fived on the lower end of Long Island until moving to Missouri in 1836.
139. 1775, The Path Deed, questionable territory granted by Cherokees as a settier's route to Henderson's Purchase, opened Long Island for. settlement.
140. 1825, Richard Netherland owned Island Flats land.
141. 1803, Thomas Titsworth built his house on site of today's Lutheran Church.
142. 1818, Frederick and Daniel Branstetter settled on Pendleton Grant land purchased from Ross.
143. 1788, Alexander Berry settled on 200 acres purchased from Henry Mauk.
144. Before 1795, Esquire Joseph Rose had settled op his 140 acres.
145. 1799, John Olar settled on 307 acre farm purchased from Jacob Myers.
146. 1775 dates Long Island Settlement,
147. 1810, Richard Netherland family moved from Virginia to his Long reland farm and built his large brick house.
148. November, 1776, Wm. Locke sold Long Island to Samuel Woods, Richard Netherland's father-in-law. 1792, Woods willed the Island to his daughters.
149. By 1799, Phillip Kite (ironworker) had settled on his 120 acres.
150. The famous Long Island of the Holston (Recognized National Landmark), Great island or Peace Island, was a sacred Cherokee meeting ground and "place of general rendezvous" for Colonial and Revolutionary militias.
151. 1784, Abel Morgan, pioneer Baptist preacher, lived on 33 acres purchased from Wm. Goad.
152. 1764, Richard Pearis, spy, Revolutionary War soldier, and longhunter,traded with the Cherokees from Long Island, which in 1757 he unsuccessfully sought to purchase.
153. March 10, 1775, Daniel Boone joined his 30 axemen assembled at Long Island, starting point of Boone's Wilderness Road. Traveling up Reedy Creek, then turning north to Boone's Ford, they killed a bear and "had a fine supper."
154. 1748-49, Stephen Holston, namesake of Holston River, journeyed in canoes from Virginia down Holston River and on by river to Natchez,
155. 1796, Casper Myers settled on his father's 120 acres that he purchased in 1799.
156. 1783, Brother Schneider, Moravian preacher, after stopping at Col. Joseph Martin s, made his lone, hazardous journey to "Christianize the Cherokees."
157. By 1783, Col. Joseph Martin (Brigadier General in 1793) had moved on his Grant Land, its western boundary adjoined Christian's Grant.
158. July 2, 1777. cruel rtiurder of Big Bu let,Cherokee Indianzendangered the Avery Treaty until 500 pounds was offered for the murderer's capture.
159. 1796, Gen. Victor Collot, of France,reported on the military state of the West,recommended that the Depot be placed atLong Island, and advised "it is the situation of the frontlers which makes the safety of Empires."
160. By 1792, Cotton's Ford was named in Long island deeds.
161. 1846, Vachel Light, old Revolutionary War soldier, purchased land from John Steadman.
162. 1819, COL Samuel Woods Netherland built a large house on his plantation which, in 1847, John Roller purchased from Netherland's heirs.
163. March 24, 1781, Colonels Joseph Martin, Arthur Campbell, Evan Shelby, and John Sevier met on Long island to arrange the peace meeting held on Long Island, July, 1781.
164. July 20, 1777, Avery Treaty, arranged on Col. Wm. Christian's 1778 Campaign, was concluded on Long Island between Cherokees and North Carolina and Virginia Commissioners. Over 600 Indians camped on Long island for 3 months before signing this Treaty that ceded boundaries deeper into the Cherokee Nation.
165. Dragging Canoe, Chief Little Carpenter's son, broke with the old chiefs in 1775 and organized the Chickamaugans who, aided by the British, committed depredations on the frontiers for 17 years, from Georgia to Pennsylvania. July, 1776, he camped on Long island prior to Battle of Island Flats.
166. 1776, Mrs. James Thompson and hersister, while swimming in Holston River, were sighted by Indians who wanted their scalps. Dragging Canoe intervened saying, "They are only Squaws."
167. 1754, Col. Nathaniel Gist, traded from Long Island. This scout, longhunter, soldier and friend of Cherokees was the father of Sequoyah.
168. 1776, Capt. Joseph Martin, stationed at Eaton a Fort and Fort Patrick Henry, was appointed Indian Agent in 1777 and settled on Long island with his indian wife, Betsy Ward.
169. 1777, Betsy, Nancy Ward's daughter, lived as the wife of Joseph Martin (bore him 2 children) until his return to his white wife in Virginia (1789).
170. Sept. 27, 1776, Col. Wm. Christian ordered the "Light Horse, Packmen and Drovers to cross the river and encamp "in the Long island" and load 4 pack horses for each company.
171. By 1776, Bailey's "old cabins" and"Spring" were opposite Long Island and still there in 1792.
172. Sept 23, 1776, Col. Wm. Christian ordered drovers, packmen, their horses and 660 head of cattle to encamp at Bailey's Spring.
173. These Indian Mounds, erected by ancient tribes, were listed in 1890 Smithsonian report.
174. 1787, Wm. Smith built his house "above the Big rock above the head of Long island."
175. 1779, Col, John Donelson, Revolutionary soldier, spent the fall here building a flotilla of 30 flatboats for 300 people to make the 1000-mile journey to settle Middle Tennessee. Rachel, his 13 year old daughter (later Andrew Jackson's wife), and 15 white families,and 30 slaves set out from Fort Patrick Henry, Dec. 22, 1779.
176. Sept., 1761, Gen. Adam Steven's troops and wagons traveled down the Island Road to build Fort Robinson, 2nd Engitsh Fort in Tennessee. Here,in Nov., 1761, 400 Cherokees came to "treat for peace."
177. Sept., 1776, Fort Patrick Henry, completed by Col, Wm. Rusself under command of Col. Wm. Christian, enclosed 3 acres of ground, with bastions at each corner, military store and Commander's house within the stockade, and garrisoned 2,000 men. It was the bulwark against indian uprisings until about 1781.
178. 1776, Col, Wm. Christian, under Virginia Council's orders, gathered the 2,000 man militia to severely chastise the Cherokees. This march on the Cherokee Nation left Fort Patrick Henry, Sept. 30, 1776.
179. 1776, Major Even Shelby's 600 men garrisoned Fort Patrick Henry after Col, Wm. Christian's Cherokee expedition returned.
180. 1776, Capt. W. Witcher's Company guarded Fort PatrIck Henry while Col, Wm. Christian was on his expedition.
181. 1779, Col. Evan Shelby's militias bulIt canoes at Long island and Big Creek (Maj. Gilbert Christian commanded Long island troops). They canoed enmasse down river in a surprise attack on Cherokee.towns.
182. 1776, Dr. Patrick Vance, surgeon on Col. Wm. Christion's Cherokee Campaign, mended scalped heads so artfully that the victims lived and grew hair.
183. 1816, the Netherlands owned 1000s of acres on Bays Mountain and both sides of Holston River.
184. Before 1826, Pleasant Creasey had settled on Bays Mountain.
185. Before 1783, Williams lived atop Bays Mountain.
186. 1783, Bryant Ward Nowlen (log house . SS) settled atop Bays Mountain on his 840 acre Land Grants.
187. Before 1794, Bays Mountain School served Bays Mountain settlement.
188. 1787, Gabriel and William Goad Iived on 79 acres given by their father.
189. 1790, Nathaniel and John Peoples (1796) settled on Clear Fork.
190. 1802, Michael Star, namesake of "Star's Gap," settled on his 200 acres.
191. 1825, "Roseland" (SS), large Iog house was built by Jonathan and Frances.Rhea Bachmar. parents of four famous Tennessee Presbyterian ministers.
192. 1825, John Bachman, beloved Bachman slave, helped the widowed Mrs. Jonathan Bachman raise her four minister sons.
193. 1782, John Goad had settled on his Bays Mountain Land Grants (log house SS).
194. John Steadman (in Sullivan County 1779) settled near Little Horse Creek by 1814.
195. 1864, John Bachman, Nathan Sr.'s son, built his large brick house on 'old Bu tier Place. '
196. 1798, Elisha Butler's (namesake of "Butter's Spur ) Place was built on 300 acres purchased from Easleys.
197. 1800's,this old 2-story log house (SS)was occupied,over the years, by Nathan Easley, John H. Wood and B. F. Hood.
198. 1823, Capt. Isaac DePew purchased DePew Chapel lot from James Smiley.
199. 1776, Capt. Isaac DePew, Revolutionary War soldier, came from Virginia with Maj. Wm. Campbell; settled in area by 1792, moving to Little Horse Creek in 1823.
200. 1782, Benjamin Merritt settled on his 200-acre Land Grant
201. By 1843, Daniel Hickman had built his large log house (SS) that John Dolen purchased in 1876.
202. 1805-6, Jacob and George Morelock lived here,but were in area by 1783.
203. 1791, Richard Murrell, Baptist minister, settled on his 285 acres, organized Horse Creek Church, and was a Holston Conference Moderator and pastor of Double Springs Church for many years.
204. By 1783, Wm. Anthony had settled on Horse Greek.
205. The old log Clover Bottom School served Horse Creek Community for many years.
206. 1848, Elijah (wr. ith's house (SS) was owned by Wm. H Childress who added a mill and school on the property (sold,1883, to Jackson & Pamela Riggs).
207. 1783, John Crawford sold property from his 639-acre Land Grant to Bachmans, Morelocks, Finks, Chesters, and Smiths.
208. By 1782, Col. Isaac T1tsworth had settied here but moved to Tennessee County (1789) where his family (except 1 daughter) was killed by Indians (1795, same fate befell him).
209. 1783, Abraham Titsworth, Revolutionary War soldier, settled here.
210. 1780, Samuel Bachman, Sr., his wife and sons, Nathan and Jonathan, settled in his log house. Nearby an old frame house (SS),and log smokehouse (SS), were built by his descendants.
211. In 1808, Bachman Grist Mill was butit by Nathan Bachman, Sr.
212. By 1836, McClelland's Clover Bottom Store (SS) operated here, and in 1841 was Clover Bottom Post Office whose 1st postmaster was Samuel Bachman.
213. By 1803, Jonathan Bachman, Sr. built his large log house (SS) to which his descendants added wings and siding.
214. 1783, Vacher Dillingham of Greenville, South Carolina, owned land near the "Old War Road" on which Prudence Hamilton built a "plantation."
215. 1803, Nathan Bachman, Sr. 1st lived in a 2-story log house, then built his large brick house (SS).
216. In 1857, Nathan Bachman Sr.'s store was willed to his son, Enoch Bachman.
217. 1782, John Gibrins improved a portion of Moses Roberson's 622-acre Land Grant.
218. Many families were in Horse Creek Settlement by 1780's.
219. By 1883, Easley s Store was Easley Post Office (1st postmaster, Elbert L. Easley). In 1883, nearby Butterfly Post Office's 1st postmaster was Edmund P. Easley.
220. 1784, Bishop Francis Asbury, English Methodist missionary, was chosen America s 1st Methodist Bishop. This Pauline Apostle of the West's true home was in his saddle" for nearly one half century. His Washington, D. C. statue reads "live or die, I must ride."
221. By 1782,Steven Easley built his large log house on his 1,733-acre Land Grants.
222. 1790, Peter Easley (came with father, Steven, 1780), built his large log house (SS), now weatherboarded.
223. Indian Dry Weather Cut-Off Path was an alternate path used in dry weather from Long Island up Horse Creek to near Nolichucky River's bend where the main trail was resumed.
224. Before 1783, Michael and Elizabeth Christian Craft, Sr. lived here until moving to Cumberland County, Kentucky in 1816.
225. 1776, route used by Col. Wm. Christian's Cherokee Campaign was referred to in old deeds as Old War Road.
226. 1788, Capt. Thomas Vincent commanded a company on the Chickamauga Campaign.
227. 1782, Esquire George Vincent built a 2-story log house on his 250 acres.
228. 1782. Capt. Thomas Vincent, Revolutionary War soldier, and early settler, was so severely wounded on his 1788 Chickamauga Campaign,he was carried home on a Iliter.
229. In 1796, John Jones, early settler, paid Sullivan County land taxes. An old building (SS) on his farm was built by Richard Joab,
230. Clark's Muster Ground at Double Springs, on the Island path from Clark's to Long island is described in 1782 and 1788 deeds.
231. Oct. 1, 1776 Col. Wm. Christian a 1st camp was 'Three Springs" (probably Double Springs) where they remained until resuming march,Oct.4th.
232. 1776, Capt. Henry Clark, Revolutionary War soldier, Washington Court member (1776), Sullivan Justice (1780) and North Carolina Legislator (1780),settled on his Grant land.
233. By 1786, Double Springs Baptist log Church, organized by Jonathan Mulkey, had a log school nearby.
234. In 1795, 'Rockhouse Charlie Jones" was so called for the house he built of solid limestone.
235. On Oct. 4, 1776, Col Wm. Christian marched to his 2nd camp called "6 mile Camp" (probably Double Lick).
236. 1782, Nathaniel Clark settled on his 247-acre Land Grants.
237. 1775, James Abbet, "old Indian fighter, ' built a log house (SS) on his 150 acre Land Grant.
238. By 1795, James Boyd, Revolutionary War soldier, had purchased James Abbet's small log house and added a larger log house (SS).
239. 1783, Gates Mill, built by Charles Gates,was later owned by John Gates.
240. 1780, George Birdwell settled on his 375 acre Land Grant.
241. 1789, Mack Osburn settled on 164 acres purchased from Nathaniel Clark.
242. 1796, Peter Mcintosh settled on 150 acres purchased from Daniel Huffman.
243. 1782, John Bailey was an early settler and landowner,
244. 1789, George Smith lived on 101 acres purchased for 1600 pounds from John Bailey.
245. Between 1789 and 1804,Wm. Stacy built a grist mill (stone ruins & fireplace SS) and a saw mill on Kendrick Creek (later owned by Walter King, the Baskett Brothers, and Benjamin Birdwell).
246. 1862, Federal Underground Route whereon Dan Ellis conducted Union recruits from Confederate territory.
247. 1789, Pactolus Ironworks, built by Moses Cavitt, was purchased (1795) by Walter King and John Sevier.By 1819 E. and E. Embree owned and expanded it to include forges, furnace, general store and warehouses,
248. 1848, Jonathan Wexler, ironworker, blacksmith and planter, built a saw rpill after purchasing "old Pactolus Furnace Tract."
249. Before 1849, Pactolus Meeting House was built opposite the graveyard.
250. 1832, in Pactolus Village, Pactolus Post Office's 1st postmaster was Thomas Vincent.
251. Between 1795 and 1811, the 3-story stone and frame Pactolus Boarding House (ruins SS) was,in 1848,Col. Alfred E. Jackson's homeplace.
252. By 1819, Pactolus Nail Factory, built and operated by Jonathan Wexler, was owned by E. & E. Embree.
253. Before 1782, Stephen Bailey settled on "his plantation."
254. By 1859, "Upper Ferry" was used by travelers on The Ferry Road.
255. 1880, Monroe Wexler built his house (SS) using lumber from a wrecked terry purchased for 50 bushels of corn and a mule team.
256. 1835, David Birdwell built his 2-story log house (SS), now a wing in George Bradley's home, on 384 acres purchased from Edward A. Myers.
257. Between 1793 and 1835,this old log house (SS) was built by Henry Myers probably for workmen in the Salt Petre Mine.
258. 1795, Walter King, John Sevier, Sr. and Jr. were granted 1000-acre Land Grant.
259. By 1832, Myers' Salt Petre Mine in a cave was in operation.
260. 1799, John Crum settled on his 250 acre Pendleton Grant Land.
261. 1805, Crumtown (Manchester) was laid out in lots by John Crum.
262. 1831, Eden's Ridge Post Office s 1st postmaster was John S. Gaines.
263. 1840, Enoch Shipley built his large brick house (SS).
264. July 20, 1776, The Battle of Island Flats' 1st skirmish took place when the militia marched from Eaton's Fort, over Eaton's Ridge and was attacked in a deep ravine by Dragging Canoe's warriors.
265. July 20, 1776, in the Main Battle of Island Flats, the victorious militia, its battle line extending % mile, was attacked by indians with " the greatest fury imaginable, streams of blood were everyway"
266. July 20, 1776, Big Alex Moore, a monstrous man, "killed the Big Indian, in the Big Sink Hole, in the Big island Flats of the Big Holston."
267. 1896, George P. Roller built his large frame house (SS) and outbuildings (SS).
268. 1815, Lott Gott moved from his 1788 Kendrick Creek land and built the oHighland Inn" (Gotts Cross-Road Post Office, 1847) with a stable, and metal, blacksmith, and cabinet shops.
269. In 1795, The Great Stage Road was routed through Blountville. This Great Road extended to run from Washington City to New Orleans.
270. 1884, A. F. Martin built his large frame house (SS) on land given him by Thomas Bachman. (Later home of J. W. Dobyns, 1st Mayor of new Kingsport.)
271. 1835, Thomas Bachman's plantatiocovered 1,270 acres.
272. Reedy Creek, formerly West Creek, was so named by Dr. Thomas Walker in 1748.
273. By 1805, David Childress (in area 1796) had moved to James Taylor Gaines' property (Childress log cabin SS).
274. 1805, James Taylor Gaines purchased 200 acres of Pendleton Grant land from his father, Capt. James Gaines, where he and his parents lived until 1810,
275. 1850, David Waterman built this log house (SS) where, for some years, he taught school.
276. By 1760, numerous longhunters invaded these treasured Cherokee hunting grounds, hunting up to 2 years before re- turning home with their animal pelts.
277. 1799, Brothers Steiner and Schweinitz, Moravian circuit Friders, journeyed from Pennsylvania to the Cherokee Nation.
278. 1673, James Needham and Gabriel Arthur journeyed to the Cherokee Nation to establish trading with the indians,for Virginia. Needham was killed but Arthur returned.
279. 1766, David Ross made an unsuccessful journey from Virginia to the Cherokee Nation seeking consent to built a trading post at Long Island.
280. Great Trading Path was the ancient Great Indian Warrior Path which ran from Pennsylvania into Alabama.
281. In 1777, Reedy Creek Road was improved from the forks of the path (Wilderness Road) leading to Kentucky, to the mouth of Reedy Creek with Gilbert Christian as surveyor.
282. 1780, Wm. Nash settled on his 200 acre Land Grant, 11ving there until his death.
283. Between 1809 and 1822, "The Red House Plantation" house (SS), built by John Thompson on Wm. Nash's Grant land, was often used as a tavern.
284. 1835, Capt. John Welsh, Tennessee State Senator, built his log house (SS) and out-buildings (SS).
286. 1806, David Shaver settled on the forks of Reedy Creek Road and Wilderness Road where he was Reedy Creek Post Office's 1st postmaster in 1833.
286. 1774, Ammunition wagons, escorted by as many as 24 men, made the perilous fourneystrom King's Mill Fort through Moccasin Gap to Clinch River Forts.
287. By 1774, Reedy Creek Road or Kentucky Road, now called Bloomingdale Pike, was a trail used by traders, militia and settlers.
288. 1818, Peter Gardner came from Pennsylvania and settled on his plantation where he later built his mansion house.
289. 1877, Kingsley Seminary, built and owned by Joseph Ketron, was named for Bishop Kingsley, the best man he knew.
290. 1879, Bloomingdale Post Office's 1st postmoster was Richard M. Jones.
291. 1790 s, John Ketron built his log house (SS) known as Old John Ketron Mansion House (later Joseph Ketron's home).
292. By 1877, the Ketron-Hobbs-Gaines log house (SS) and out-buildings (SS) were built (Chimney date reads 1777 or 1877).
293. 1769 to April 1770, a twenty man party hunted in Tennessee and Kentucky. Among them were Mansker, Robert Crockett (killed by indlan ambush), and Humphrey Hogan. Later in 1770 Mansker led another Kentucky hunt that was forced by severe circumstances to build canoes and return home via Natchez and the sea.
294. 1808, Henry Catron settled on his 250 acres purchased for $1500 from James Igou.
295. By 1864, Reedy Crock Academy (Joseph Ketron, principal for 9 years) was built on land given by Fain, Hicks and Newland families.
296. 1855, Wesley Hick 3 white frame house (SS) was one of several guest houses on his large plantation.
297. 1805, Phillemon Bohannan settled on his 250 acros of Pendicton Grant land.
298. 1796. Samuel Edgeman settled on his200 acres of Pendleton Grant land.
299. 1740, Vaughn traveled as packman with traders from Virginia down the Great Indian Path.
300. 1756, the Edmund Pendleton Land Grant of over 3,000 acres was the earliest Land Grant in Kingsport area. 1790, Jamesand Thomas Gaines were Pendleton's land sale agents.
301. By 1794,Samuel and Elizabeth GainesMoore settled on their 261 acres of Pendleton Grant land and built Meadow Place," a large 2-story log house (SS).
302. 1796. Capt. Ambrose and Mary Moore Gaines built a large 2-story log house (SS) on their 273 acres of Pendleton Grant land.
303. 1891, Orebank Post Office's 1st postmaster was John S. Foust.
304. 1780, Phillip Foust settled on his 47 acre Land Grant.
305. 1804. Eaton s Ridge Meeting House, bult on 1 acre donated hy Martin Waddle, was used by Lutherans and Presbyterians.
306. 1790's Samuel Moore built the "Old Homestead House," later home of Moore's daughter. Mrs. John S. Gaines.
307. 1773. Daniel Boone s Tree in Kingsport, D. Boon kill a bar on this tree 1773," was taken down in 1850 and the inscription preserved.
308. 1805, John Rhea, Lawyer and Congressman, purchased 353 acres of Pendleton Grant land.
309. 1801, George Roller settled on his 500 acres of Pendleton Grant land, later location of the 'Annie Mitchell House.
310, 1821, David DeVaull settled on 100 acres purchased from David Roller.
311. 1789, John Funk purchased houses and land for Henry and Rachel Goocher whereon Goacher's Ferry (Funk s Ferry) was operating in 1791.
312. 1796, Martin Waddle 1st settled on 135 acres ourchased from Wm. Childress but shortly moved onto Eaton's Ridge.
313. 1780. Esquire John Duncan, Revolutionary War soldier and 1st Sullivan County member, settled near Fall Creek.
314. 1788, Henry Mauk registered island Flats land but by 1790 had permanently settled here on his 450-acre Land Grant.
315. By 1849, Childress barn (SS) was built on Moses Childress'Farrn.
316. 1801, Jacob Cook, namesake of Cook's Valley, settled on land purchased from Henry Mauk.
317. 1780, Archibald Taylor (later Sheriff) settled on land, part of which was Pendleton Grant land that he relinquished to James Gaines (1792).
318. "Exchange House" (SS), purchased by John S. Gaines from Pence helrs (1824), was sold to John M. Preston (1845). In 1803 this land, known as "Pauley s Old Place, had 3 houses on it(occupied by Capt. James Gaines, David Childress, and Valentine Paurey). Property sold to Wm. Snodgrass (1806) and George Pence (1816).
319. 1812, George Pence was living on 110 acres purchased from Wm. Snodgrass in 1816.
320. 1792, Capt. James Gaines, Revolutionary War soldier, Esquire, and Pendleton Grant Agent, settled on this Grant's land. His Tennessee residences were: 1792-1805-Exchange House property; 1805-1810 on Reedy Creek north of today's Fairacres: 1810-1821 Hawkins County, James T. Gaines' house; 1821-1830-Kingsport(where he died) next door the Netherland Inn.
321. John Foust settled in "old Adair house" on 200 acres purchased of David Adair in 1790.
322. Before 1795, PhUip Horn had settled atop Eaton's Ridge by Four-Mile Tree", but later lived on Fall Creek.
323. 1794. John Shoemaker settled on his Land Grant including spring that breaks out of Eaton's Ridge."
324. 1791. Anthony Agee (in area, 1787) Settled 0.1 his 548-acre Land Grant.
325. By 1702. John Yancey's Tavern.(SS) on the Island Road, had,among other visitors, John Sevier and Wm. Blount (was possibly the fort-house home of Amos Eaton).
326. July, 1776, Eaton's Fort, bujIt by Virginia Militia, enclosed 172 acres; built nearly in a square with stockades between cabins that were 15' apart. A large number of settlers and militia gathered here prior to Battle of island Flats. Capt. Joseph Martin s company of over 630 men garrisoned Eaton's Fort until Fort Patrick Henry was completed.
327. 1773, Amos Eaton established "corn rights" and settled on his plantation. Eaton's Fort was built on his land. His house was possibly Yancoy s Tavern.
328. 1773, Fall Creek Settlement was just over the "6-mile East of Long Island line set by 1770 Lochabar Treaty. By 1774,over 85 people had settled here.
329. 1782, James Patterson settled on his 491-acre Land Grants.
330. 1811, Francis Hawicy settled on his 387 acres (83 acre tract cost $1500).
331. 1853, Liberty Meeting and School House,donated by David Roller,was used "by all denominations to worship in.
332. By 1802, David Roller was living in his father's (Martin L. Roller, Sr.), house.
333. 1783, Martin L. Roller, Sr. built his large brick house that was used as a Fort and refuge from indian attacks.
334. 1774, Martin L. Roller, Sr., EngItsh emigrant and Revolutionary War soldier, migrated from Pennsylvania and built a log house on his 200-acre Land Grant.
335. 1782, John Dever settled on his 537 acre Land Grant.
336. 1774, Martin L. Roller, Jr., Revolutionary War soldier, lived on his father s Grant land.
337. Between 1833 and 1847, Roller Mill (SS) (Pettyjohn Mill) was bulit by David Roller.
338. The Moody family (in area 1789) owned Fall Creek land by 1803. 1822, Adam Moody's Blacksmith Shop on John Horn land was nearby.
339. 1843, Valentine Moody donated a log school house (Emory Church site) used by "all denominations to preach in."
340. By Sept. 1773, Thomas Ramsey had built his fort-house on his 500-acre Land Grant, where, in 1776, the Militia was stationed.for 6 months.
341. In 1860's Benjamin Horn built his mill (SS) (Huddle Mill). When washed out by flood, it was rebuilt with some salvaged timbers.
342. By 1774, Bryce Russell, Sr. had built his fort-house., "the closest house to Long island." on his 640-acre Land Grant.
343. 1784, Wm. Childress settled on 539 acres purchased from James Blythe.
344. By 1783,George Coon had made improvements on James Blythes 275-acre Land Grant.
345. 1788, John Cottrell lived on 200 acres purchased from Wm. Bailey.
346. 1790, Shipley's Ferry was 1st operated by Conrad Shipley (purchased from Alex. Cavitt). 1832, Shipley's Ferry Post Office's 1st postmaster was Joshua Shipley.
347. 1760, to Boone's Tree (now destroyed) on Boone's Creek, read "D. Boocilled a. bar on tree in the year 1760."
348. Oct., 1780, 1,000 men marched from the Holston, Watauga, and Nolichucky River settlements to the Battle of King's Mountain to win a decisive Revolutionary War victory over Maj.Patrick Ferguson.
349. By 1784, John Billingsly, Revolutionary War soldier, settled on the Holston River.
350. 1780, John Cox, Revolutionary War soldier, settled on his Holston River Land Grant.
351. 1782, Alexander Cavitt settled on his 348-acre Land Grant.
352. 1784, George Birdwell moved from Kendrick Creek to settle above the mouth of Fall Creek.
353. 1880, Samuel Post Office's 1st postmaster was John M. Boyd,
354. By 1782, Joseph Copeland had settled on his land adjoining Brice Russell.
355. By 1790, John Roller had settled on the "plantation" purchased from Joseph Rogers.
356. 1787, Richard Shipley had settled on his 400-acre Land Grant. Nearby Thomas Shipley lived in 1789 on his 490-acre Land Grant.
357. 1784, Joseph and Catherine Rogers settled on their 640 acre-Land Grant.
358. 1803, Jacob Lady settled on 238 acres purchased from Conrad Isley.
359. 1798, Wm. Bond settled in the house on 300 acres purchased from Jesse Pur- due.
360. 1782, David Erwin settled on his 440 acre Land Grant.
361. 1890, Indian Springs Post Office's ist postmaster was James C. Henry.
362. 1794, Seth Porterfield settled on 400 acres purchased from Nathaniel Gaines.
363. By 1774, To Shelby's Fort, commanded by Capt. Evan Shelby, went many settlers fleeing from Indians.
364. To COL James King's Iron Works, where thousands of tons of iron were brought to Boat Yard and shipped to distant ports by flatboat.
365. Completed in Sept. 1761, The 1sland Road (1st road built in Tennessee), wasbuilt as a military road by Maj. Andrew Lewis under Col. Adam Steven's command. It began at Chilhowie, Virginia and came to Fort Robinson at the upper end of Long Island.Numerous old log houses stand guard over this 206 year old Tennes-See landmark.
366. By 1774, Capt. David Looney, Revolutionary War soldier, early Fall Creek settler, commanded an 85 man "company of volunteers."
367. 1838. John Barger built his house (SS) on 169 acres purchased from David Roller.
368. Abe Fleenor purchased this old log house (SS) built by John Lidicoh or Carr Bailey about 1795.
369. 1774, Moses Looneys fort-house (SS), a ?-story log house, now weather- boarded, was used as a refuge from Indian attacks. Here the first official organization of Sullivan County took place,Feb. 7, 1780.
370. By 1789, Carr Bailey was living on his 400 acres purchased from John Blanton.
371. 1784, John Blanton settled on his 600 acre Land Grant, and built houses on the 200-acre tract sold in 1789 to James Bl are.
372. 1783, William and John Jennings settied on land grants on the Island Road.
373. James Anderson (1773, in Reedy Creek area with his father, William) purchased 264 acres near Fall Creek in 1793.
374. 1776, Nancy Ward, Beloved Woman," Cherokee princess, warned the settlers, via while traders, of the imminent attack by Dragging Canoe s war party.
375. July 1776, Warned by Nancy Ward's messengers, the settlers hurriedly sought refuge in Eaton's, Looney's and Shelby a Forts or gathered in groups to flee the country.
376. 1750, Dr.ThomasWalkerfoundtracks of 20 Indians who had passedhiscamp in the night. Walkers group killed one buffalo and cut and marked and turned out" another.
377. 1833, Henry Catron donated Reedy Creek Campground to the Methodist Conference.
378. 1803, Joseph Newland settled on his 543 acros of Pendleton Grant land (log barn SS).
379. 1836, Thomas Fain moved from Blountville and built his log house and store and was Arcadia's 1st postmaster in 1846.
380. 1860, Thomas Fain built this large 10 room brick house (SS) with four log out- buildings (SS). The Fains, Union sympathizers, had their house searched many times by Confederates.
381. 1836, Aunt Beck Fain's log cabin (SS) was the home of this beloved slave until she moved to Blouniville.
382. 1787, Lt. Samuel Brashear, Revolutionary War soldier,settled with his parents and brother Isaac, on his father's 300 acre Land Grant.
383. Before 1805, Henry Maggart had acquired and resided on Pendleton Grant land.
384. 1808, Methodist Episcopal Church was built on 1 acre donated by John Sinclair.
385. 1802, John Sinclair settled on his 247 acres of Pendleton Grant land.
386. North Fork Reedy Creek (Boosey Creek) was also called Sharp's Creek.
387. 1750, Giant's Ditch, a narrow cut in the ridges, was named by Dr. Thomas Walker on his 2nd exploration.
388. In 1772. Lt. Gilbert Christian and famify settled on Reedy Creek, about 7 miles above its mouth, where he was the commander of King's Mill Fort. They lived here until the fall of 1775.
389. 1772, Col. George Christian, Revolulionary War soldier, lived on land inherited from his father, Gilbert, until moving to Overton County by 1816.
390. 1805, Frederick Pectol settled on over 100 acres purchased from Henry Maggart and John Pitcher,
391. By 1774, King's Mill Fort, a Colonial'stockaded fort," commanded by Lt. Gilbert Christian, figured prominently as a refuge from Indian attacks and as the storage place of flour" for neighboring forts.
392. 1774, Archibald McNeal, early settler near King s Mill Fort, was murdered by Indians in 1778 while enroute to Henry Roberts' Mill.
393. 1774, David Roberts, early settler, was killed by indians in 1778 while enroute to his brother Henry 3 Mill.
394. On Sept. 24, 1774, John Roberts' house (SS) was attacked by Chief Logan who massacred John, his wife, and 3 of his children-mortally wounded one son and took another son, James, prisoner (returned home unharmed,1774).
395. 1774, Henry Roberts' (brothers John, David, William) house was attacked by Indians in 1778. They severely wounded Henry and captured his daughter who was never heard of again.
396. 1774, William Roberts, only Roberts brother to escape Indian atrocities, paid 1796 taxes on 485 acres.
397. Abner Hughes built his house (SS) in early 1800's. He paid Sullivan County taxes on 100 acres in 1796,but his earliest known Jand purchase was 1806 for 100 acres from James Kain being same land as Henry Hughes' 1793 100 acre Land Grant.
398. About 1806, Abner Hughes built his powder mill and used Hale's Boat Yard Store as a place to sell his powder.
399. 1774, Humphrey Hogan, longhunter, explorer, and probably Tennessee's 1st school teacher, lived near King's Mill Fort where Gilbert Christian's children were among his students.
400. 1772-3 Reedy Creek Settlement was just beyond the "6-mile limit" of the 1770 Lochabar Treaty line.
401. 1783, Joe Caruthers settled on land adjoining Sinclair 5 Pendleton Grant land
402. 1801, John Waddie settled on his 152 acres of the '"upper end" of Pendleton Grant land.
403. In 1774, Sink Hole hid terrified settlers from attacking Indians.
404. 1793, Robert Jackson settled on his 50-acre Land Grant.
405. About 1845, Cain Pottery Plant, owned by William and Abram Cain, made glazed earthenware.
406. To Wm. King's Saltworks in V1rginia where thousands of tons of salt were brought to Boat Yard and shipped to distant ports by flatboat.
407. 1782, Henry Hughes was living near the bounds of the "upper end" of Pendleton Grant land.
408. 1892 Silvacola Post Office's (changed from 1887 Morell's Mill Post Office) 1st postmaster was Joseph M. Newland.
409. 1750, Dr. Thomas Walker made his 2nd exploration to enter land for settlement on "the western waters." They came down the Great Indian Path where, between Giant's Ditch and Old Ford, they spent 4 days looking over the land.
410. 1773, Esquire John Anderson came here with his father, William. John was the author of a manuscript which describes many hardships. of the early settlers.
411. 1773, William Anderson brought his family here from Virginia. Indian atrocities forced them to seek refuge in the Sink Hole, King's Fort,and Looney's Fort.
412, 1782, Peter McCall settled on his 300 acre Land Grant.
413. 1778, William McMillan, early settler near King s Mill Fort, was taken prisoner by Indians where for 5 years he experienced many hardships before being returned home.
414. By 1848, Edward L. Easley's large log house (SS) and log barn (SS) were built on Steven Easley's old Grant land.
START HERE for Historical Event Map Search
This link will take you to actual map and search form.
Also Visit: DiscoverKingsport.com Homepage
© 2005 DiscoverKingsport.com